Arnold Palmer Regional Airport history
Arnold Palmer Regional Airport (IATA: LBE, ICAO: KLBE) had started its operation under the name of Longview Flying Field in 1924. Afterward, the airbase changed its name several times. It became J.D. Hill Airport in 1928, Latrobe Airport in 1935, and finally Westmoreland County Airport in 1978. The airport was renamed as Arnold Palmer Airport in 1999 in honor of the golf icon Arnold Palmer. That was also dedicated to the golf player's 70th anniversary. The ceremony was visited by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Tom Ridge. By 2008, the airport successfully served 18.946 enplanements, approximately 15.482 aircraft operation in 2009, and 6.978 in 2010. In February 2011, Spirit airlines started its operations through the airport. It launched flights to Fort Lauderdale and Myrtle Beach. In 2012, the trips to Orlando were started as well. The airline has increased the passenger traffic of the airport serving around 5 destinations across the United States. Thus, the passenger traffic has risen to the mark of 355.910 passengers in 2015.